Hello,

I've been drinking loads of caffeine (in all its forms: coffee, tea, energy drinks, caffeine pills, diet pills, etc) for years now, and it seems to have taken a toll on my mental health. So much so that I've considered whether or not I have toxic dementia (brought on by a caffeine allergy). A caffeine allergy is when the body cannot properly metabolize the caffeine. This may occur after overloading one's body with too much caffeine. I used to go through whole coffee bags of this stuff on a weekly basis. Now, I'm a mess and I still drink small (maybe a little more) amounts of this stuff. Otherwise I would feel awful. Furthermore, I've been diagnosed with depression.

My question: could my problems be the result of a caffeine allergy + toxic dementia?

I really need help with this. I'm only 22 and my life is in ruins. Please help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper chuckles77
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It seems like you have developed a caffeine addiction.
changes in mood, such as depressed mood or irritability, can arise since you have decreased the amount of coffee you take.
Depression may occur as part of the let down after the stimulant effects of caffeine wears off, or during the recovery period after quitting caffeine while the brain's chemistry is readjusted.
Be aware about another condition that could result from an excessive caffeine consumption, known as a adrenal exhaustion.
Its symptoms are excessive fatigue and exhaustion, non-refreshing sleep, unable to cope with stressors, feeling rundown or overwhelmed, brain fog, and many more.

Ask for caffeine addiction treatment !
|

replied May 9th, 2009

It makes sense and it would explain why I'm currently experiencing mental problems.

Has anyone else experienced caffeine related mental problems? (Please share)
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Caffeine allergy
My wife has a caffeine allergy and just a very small amount makes her go psychotic. She becomes extremely depressed from just one cup of decaf and it lasts for 3 days with a continuing mental fog for about 2-3 weeks after. It has wrecked her life. When depressed she doesn't care about anything, so she has more caffeine because nothing matters anyhow, she continues to get worse and worse and have more and more until she reaches the suicidal stage. That took about 4 weeks this last time she fell off the wagon. This is real, she started off drinking large amounts of coffee (10 cups a day of the strong stuff) when she was in her 20's and over the next 10 years developed the allergy gradually. She has been diagnosed as bi-polar, obsessive compulsive, and more recently with some other kind of anxiety disorder, but SHE IS PERFECTLY NORMAL AND HAPPY IF SHE HAS NO CAFFEINE FOR 3 WEEKS OR LONGER. She's happy and loves life until she has that one little piece of chocolate or one decaf coffee, or that one pain killer for her headache like tylenol extra strength (they put caffeine in to keep it from making you drowsey). Within 1 hour her symptoms start to return. She immediately becomes aggressive and agumentive and really unreasonable. Thing is, when it's your mind that is being affected, you don't see the changes in yourself. So while it's clear to me what's happening (and it really irritates her when i immediately know shes had some caffeine when I get home from work, because it's like walking in on Mrs. Hyde)she doesn't think she's changed at all. Take this seriously, if you have a caffeine allergy, it will get worse with time. Also, if you go to one of these addictions groups or AA type group for support to try to stay away from it, be prepared to be laughed out on your ear, because no one believes that caffeine can do that to you. I don't believe it can, I KNOW IT FIRST HAND. See the link below and seek help while you can.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine_all ergy.html
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Caffeine allergy is real
My wife could have written Chuckles77's post, because it's my story also. I'm 38 now, and caffeine has affected me for years, although it took me a while to figure that out. I find my sensitivity to it has increased to the point that yes, one cup of decaf can affect me for days.

My symptoms, depending on how it hits me at the moment, can range from mild irritability to dizziness, restlessness, inability to lie still at night, mild social paranoia, compulsiveness, irrational thoughts, trouble concentrating, self-consciousness, etc.

Get it out of my system, and I'm fine - relaxed, happy, stable, outgoing and at peace.

I'm really embarrassed about this, because yes, people do think you're nuts...coffee...doing all this? It doesn't help that I absolutely love coffee. For the sake of my own quality of life, as well as for my wife and kids, I'm beginning to take it more seriously and I'd encourage anyone else with this problem to do likewise.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
allergic - If one cup of decaf hits you I don't think it is caffeine allergy but perhaps a combined reaction to other chemicals in the coffee. Does a caffeinated soda or caffeine pill affect you the same way? I get the same type of anxiety/lethargy from coffee as everyone else here says. Also, it seems to store up in the body somehow, as after one week after quitting my skin starts smelling "degraded coffee" - weird I know. It definitely is time to flush this horrible drug down the toilet and never look at it again.
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
No,this is not due to caffeine allergy. I would suggest you to consult psychiatrist to evaluate you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.