User Profile
Can a heart valve patient have a C section when in labor with a baby , and is it safer to get a C section so the mother (me) does not die?
and should the mother get a C section every time she's in labor?
Thank You because I'm planing on having a child when I'm in my 20's and the second open heart surgery should already have taken place

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A16754
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the mode of delivery in a heart valve patient with mechanical heart valve replacement.
Mechanical heart valves are associated with an increased risk of blood clots (thromboembolic events) during pregnancy, and these blood clots can be life threatening for the mother and baby. Anticoagulation (thinning the blood) with oral anticoagulants, usually warfarin, provides protection against these complications, but its use during certain times in pregnancy can increase the risk of birth defects and stillbirth.
The usual approach is to switch to heparin at 35-36 weeks even if oral anticoagulation with warfarin is being used for some time before that as the fetal liver is immature and warfarin crosses the placenta to reach the fetus, it can lead to over-anticoagulation in newborn baby with the increased risk of perinatal intracranial hemorrhage.
Pregnancy increases the risk of valve thrombosis. The time of greatest risk for venous thrombosis is immediately after delivery, and cesarean section further increases the risk up to 25-fold according to one study and so it is better to reserve the c section for usual obstetric indications and not to be used as a routine in all heart valve patients.
Followup with your personal physician is essential.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.