Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Buspar and Marijuana/Alcohol

I just started taking buspar yesterday, psychiatrist gave me a prescription and i start out very low 2.5 mg every 12 hours for 3 days. Its my second day. I have anxiety and before buspar I smoked weed to bring peace to my mind and physically comfort me.
My question is, is it safe to smoke still? I only have enough to relax my muscles and joints from past injuries. So realistically a few hits every few hours.
And my other question is it safe to have a few beers? I'm not driving and I havent seen any severe side effects online. I figured I would ask my own question for once. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 19th, 2014
Experienced User
In terms of alcohol there is a medium risk of an interaction effect. Generally, a few beers will be alright once in awhile. However, do not drink and drive even if it is a few beers as more times then not the interaction effect will cause drowsiness and dizziness in other words it is like getting drunk faster. As to mj I am not sure what the interaction effect is, but I do recall one. I'll update later.

Edit: There is a low risk of interaction effect between buspar and marijuana. Generally, it can reduce the efficacy of Buspar. However, this tends to be a issue over a long term of time. In other words there shouldn't be a huge issue assuming the buspar isn't going to be used for a great period of time. Nonetheless, I would suggest reducing marijuana usage or eliminating as to ensure the the buspar is at an effective dosage.

Best of luck.
|

replied September 14th, 2015
I occasionally smoke weed and am on buspar, I've had no problems. Weed always tends to help me though, it also depends on the person I guess. And with beer, im not sure. I don't usually drink
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...