YES
ON THE FENCE
NO
100%  100%  [ 1 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1
User Profile
These Days smoking is getting a really bad wrap and because of it. The country is seeing a decline in the amount of people who smoke cigarettes. However I think more can be done. Perhaps it is time business both small and large step in to help end the habit once and for all. How? Just do not hire people who smoke. Ill explain..

We live in a free country absolutely. However, how can we as a society allow people to kill themselves slowly with this dangerous substance. Should business openly condone the sure deaths of those people it hires? By not creating rules that limit a persons ability to smoke a cigarette and the work place. We are creating a safe haven for people to openly take part in harming themselves and others around them even worse. Open areas are simply not enough to prevent all second hand smoke to come into contact with someone walking by. The smell is strong and can travel easily through the air. We do not allow people to be on any other mind altering substances whilst driving or at work. Why then Cigarettes? People become unproductive and unmanageable when they desire a cigarette. They can become feisty when it comes time to needing a cigarette and can add dramatic costs to health care providers. Eliminating the ability for a worker to smoke where they work will help end this plague on man kind.

This Is a good idea, smoking cigarettes is a thing of the past anyway. It is destructive, expensive, and is just not worth the risks associated with the habit. If business steps in we can end this fight once and for all against cigarette addiction and embark on a new beginning of healthy living in America

I will always and forever embrace capitalism but profiteering off of death knowingly is gross negligence. This cannot be something we sit by idly any longer.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 11th, 2011
Smokers are quickly becoming pariahs in today's society. Where I live in Canada, you're only allowed to smoke in your car or your home (and then not if you're a renter, then you have to go outside).

I've already been hearing of companies who won't hire smokers. It's an impossible smell to hide, making smokers easier to identify at interview.

According to the Conference Board of Canada, smokers cost their employers $3,400/year in lost productivity, absenteeism, blah blah blah.

Looks like bias against smokers will go the way of bias against fat people - silent, but there.
|

Experienced User
When I am in public and see someone smoking, I lose all respect for that person. The real thoughts that enter my mind I cannot post here.

But to be polite, smoking is just as bad as not taking a shower, or passing gas in public, or bad breath. Its not sexy. Kinda nerdy. Anti social. Display of weakness. Five decades retro behind the times. 1960's retro.

Thats putting it nicely.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Re: Business Should Boycott Smokers
My mother was a smoker, quit with a friends help. It can take time and help. Smoking is an addiction. It doesn't make them any less human.

Quote:
When I am in public and see someone smoking, I lose all respect for that person. The real thoughts that enter my mind I cannot post here.

Rolling Eyes judging someone like that over what you see in front of you? Most smoker's are 10 times more humble than you're being. Think of what they might be going through instead of being so cold.

Hate and cruelty solve nothing.
|

Experienced User
Sure it does. Just today Feb 11, 2011 the people of Egypt who hated their president won their freedom by standing up to him.

Its time people stand up to smoking the same way, and win their freedom to breath clean air.

I have to breath smoke from others on my job outside. I won't be humble about it. I won't be a chicken either. I will see to it they go the same way as Mubarak. A one way plane ticket outa here!
|