Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Burns and pains on Vagina

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I'm writting this on behalf of my girlfriend. She's 18 and is having pains during intercorse. She has explained that she feels burning and throbbing pains at the opening as penetration occurs.

This doesn't happen all the time. We have had sex and it is fine for about 15mins but then it starts to hurt her. We stop and try again later only for it to hurt instantly this time. We have tried using lubricant and have not had any success from this. We're confident its not an STI as we were both tested prior to us getting together and havent had any other sexual partners.

any suggetions? help greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2010
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Get the STD screening tests repeated. Her symptoms suggest possibility of infection. Vaginal pH changes once the girl starts having intercourse, making her more susceptible to infections. She will also need a vaginal smear test to be done to look for and identify infection. Another possibility would have been vaginal dryness causing the pain, but this would be resolved with using lubricants.
Do not let her ignore her symptoms. She should focus on getting to the root cause of the problems. Once the cause is identified as infection, you too should get treated simultaneously for it and avoid having unprotected intercourse while being on treatment to prevent chances of re-infection. Ask her to visit her gynecologist soon.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.