Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Burning sensation and irritation in vaginal area

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
About a year ago I noticed two red, itchy, painless spots near the opening of my vagina, this came on with some discharge and burning sensation. I saw my PCP, who thought the red spots were irritation from shaving, and treated me for a yeast infection, and ran STD testing, which all came back negative. The dischage slowed down and the horrible itch was gone, but the spots and burning sensation didn't go away, so I scheduled another appointment with another doctor who thought the same thing as the first. When the symptoms were still there two months later I went to see a GYN, who said it was either a cutaneous yeast infection or eczema, told me to buy some OTC cream, and sure enough the red spots were gone and have never reappeared, but the burning sensation hasn't left. It's there everyday, sometimes it's less intense, but nonetheless, always there. The vaginal area doesn't appear swollen or even red, just irriated and burning. Please Help!! Could the STD testing have been wrong?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2010
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A17001
Welcome to ehealthforum.
A repeat complete STD screening is recommended since the last one was done long time back. It will help to know if the last one done indeed missed out picking up any infection. Constant burning in vagina suggests that some amount of residual infection might still be present, and if so, a course of oral antibiotics/antifungals would be helpful.
Go ahead with a repeat examination done by your gynecologist along with getting vaginal smear and swab test, and vulval swab test (from the area of affection) to see if infection is still present. Apply Caladryl lotion 2-3 times a day to see if burning sensation improves. Wear loose cotton undergarments; avoid douching and moisture in the area. Try to keep the area dry.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.