Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

burning pain under ribcage where my diaphragm is

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have a burning pain under my ribcage where my diaphragm is. I have chronic nausea and diarrhea. I feel full quickly after eating or drinking anything. Even after drinking small amounts of water. I feel my breaths are short because it hurts my diaphragm to take deep breaths. Even the slightest amount of pressure causes major discomfort.

I have stumped my gastroenterologist. He has no idea what this pain could be caused by since all of my tests have come back negative.
All of my blood work has come back normal (basic blood count, etc.)
Celiac came back negative
H pylori came back negative
Gastroscopy and colonoscopy both came back normal - biopsies were normal
Gastric empty study came back normal
Spirometry and chest Xray came back normal
Ultrasounds showed nothing abnormal
CT scan showed right ovarian cyst and dilated liver valves but normal liver function - doctor said that this wouldnt explain my upper pain
No known allergies

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A35691
Welcome to e health forum.

A important but less common cause of upper gastrointestinal pain, is Diffuse esophageal spasm. Esophageal spasms are abnormal contractions of the muscles in the esophagus (the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach). These spasms do not move food effectively to the stomach. If not done tests like a Esophageal manometry or a esophagogram can help to diagnose the condition. Treatment with medications that relax the esophageal muscles helps to relieve the symptoms.

In case all your tests done so far have been normal, it is likely that either your pain is of functional nature (chronic functional abdominal pain).

Medications like antispasmodics (peptobismol, dicyclomine) can help to a certain extent in such cases. If other measures have failed, you can consult with your doctor and he can prescribe you low doses of the antidepressent medications, which will help to control the symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.