Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Burning pain at the head of the penis

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....

I wonder if anyone can help here? For the last six weeks or so I have had a burning sensation at the head of my penis - at the end of the urethra. I have been to the doctors and had tests for infections which were negative, and for chlamydia and gonorrhoea (not that I think there is any chance of an STD) which were also negative. It is made a little better by drinking a lot, and rather worse by sex, including masturbation. It doesn't hurt to urinate particularly.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The symptoms you have appear to be due to balanitis (inflammation of the glans penis).

Since all the tests for infections have been negative, you need not worry about them.

Avoid intercourse and masturbation for a few days. The pain and inflammation can be reduced by medications like advil or motrin. The dryness and redness can be reduced by application of K Y jelly or 1 % hydrocortisone cream.

I hope this helps.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2014
I had all the symptoms that of IC, Prostatitus, Urethritus etc. and it turned out I ended having a kidney stone, which I ended up passing. If bacterial analysis doesn't turn out, Go get a CT scan at your local hospital. Hope this helps to steer you in the right direction.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.