Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

burning liquid in throat and chest

i woke up this am with liquid in my throat. b4 i could get up to spit out it lodged in back of my throat and i swallowed it. it burned painfully so. my whole throat and chest was on fire. i couldn't quench pain with sips of water. i started blowing my nose which as painful and at one point spit up a bit both expressed liquids were clear. this happened 2 hours ago and my throat is still in pain and i can't take deep breathes without coughing and feeling heavy in my chest. what could this be? is there anything i can do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 13th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds as though you have a viral infection probably similar to the common cold and the infection has settled in your chest and throat. Mucus production will increase to help rid the body of the infection and this is probably the relatively harmless liquid you swallowed. It probably wasn't the mucus or liquid that burned so much as the act of swallowing combined with the soreness of your chest and your imagination will have an input too...

Menthol is particularly soothing for throats and chests and with an over the counter pain relief you should be on the road to recovery in a couple of days or possibly sooner. Try not to move about or exert yourself unnecessarily.

If your condition worsens and you develop a fever and lose the ability or the will to move about very much you might have influenza. That is a potentially serious infection and you should inform your doctor and stay in bed.
|

replied April 13th, 2014
reply to ouchygirl
Thank you for your reply Verne01. this sounds reasonable however, i have not been sick or feeling ill at all and have had no coughing or sneezing or nose blowing up to that point. i did NOT imagine the burning pain. something like that i've never felt before. it was very painful. i did not and do not have a sore throat. i did sip tea after this post. that helped a tiny bit. then later in the morning i had some apple sauce to sooth my throat but it did give me nausea. it took the entire day for me to be able to eat something and for the burning sensation to subside a little at a time. do you still think it is an infection? and are you a doctor or nurse?
|

replied April 14th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
No neither doctor or nurse am I but I have experienced many such viruses in their many guises.

I was a snotty child who grew into a snotty adult. Once after moving to a different town I had one virus attack after another for well over a year and I noticed no two were identical and the sneezing and runny nose were sometimes absent. Sometimes there would be the feeling of exhaustion and sometimes not.
I have felt my chest and throat filled with red-hot barbed wire and nettles on many occasions.

It was around the time doctors stopped telling people they had caught a cold and began speaking of unspecified viruses.

I have never tried apple sauce to soothe a throat and I usually use menthol and very spicy foods and sauces as they tend to have an anaesthetic effect. Fortunately I have never lost my appetite or my sense of taste.

Good luck!
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...