Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Burning in lower back after ESI

I am 33 years old. I have 2 bulging disc st L3-4 and L4-5. I also have a herniated disc that is pinching my sciatic nerve at L5-S1. After 6 months of muscle relaxers and anti inflammatory meds (and of course pain meds), i decided to try an Epidural Steroid Injection. I went one week ago yesterday on Jan 18, 2010. Due to disc narrowing the spinal sac was hit. They did a blood patch immediately and sent me home for a lot of rest with some meds for the spinal headache. Obviously i wasn't able to get the meds but the pain I have now is different. I no longer have the radiating pain down from my leg but now constant burning in my lower back. I am schexuled for a second attempt of the ESI on Feb 5, 2010.
I also still get pounding headaches at times and MAJOR pain when I cough or sneeze. Does anyone know if its normal to still have the headaches??? They afe not constant like they were for the first 24-30 hours after the spinal leak but very painful in the same way.
The dr told me there is an 80% chance the ESI will fail again because of major narrowing at the disc. Her collegue will be doing the second one. Also they are doin them with the real time xray guide.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
If you are still having headaches from the first ESI attempt and a dura puncture, you need to see the doctor about those and not have another attempt at an ESI now.

As for attempting a second ESI, having been told "there is an 80% chance of a failure again", I personally wouldn't have another one done, at least by the same doctor or doctor's associate either.

Assuming they did the first ESI under floroscope (real time xray guide) it says to me that you are not a good candidate for this type of treatment.

It sounds like that you need to see a spine surgeon and explore your options for surgery. That may be your only option left to relieve your pain.

But, please see and speak with the doctor that did your ESI about your continued headaches and pain. This should not be going on now with the headaches. It may very well be that the blood batch was sufficient to seal the dura and you need another one or different treatment.

Good luck and let us know what goes on.

Fran
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...