User Profile
My daughter always has a problem with burning while she is peeing after she is in a pool with chlorine in it. I have tried changing her bathing suit often, using vasaline, and also drinking alot the day before but NOTHING stops it from happening. She is only 5 years old and it has been a problem since she was in her first pool. I feel so bad a water parks as she sits and watches the other kids having fun with tears in her eyes. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied January 13th, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A9113

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Burning during urination after swimming is due to contact dermatitis or an allergy to chlorine in the water. After swimming, wash her well with plenty of fresh water and also rinse her genitalia thoroughly with fresh water. Then pat it dry with a soft towel and make her change into dry clothes before peeing. Give her plenty of fluids and juices especially citrus juices and if the symptoms still persist then infections and chlorine allergy have to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.