Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Bumps on the skin and keloids

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
I have these bumps raising out of my skin on my upper back, shoulders, and some smaller ones on my chest. A doctor online once suggested that it might be keloids, but after searching online and seeing examples of other peoples keloids, i don't think it is. They are in many different sizes, the largest being the size of a pea grain. they look soft, but it is really hard under the skin. they are darker than my skin color, especially the edges of them. I'm light brown in skin color so the edges area dark brown. Sometimes they itch, like when u touch it. But Sometimes i dont feel it at all....can you help me determine what this skin defect is? Is it dangerous? Is it treatable?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
General Q and A Answer A4228
Diagnosis that has been suggested: Someone claiming to be a dermatologist said it might be something called "keloids". I dont think so though....theyre not as big as the keloid pics ive seen
Current medical status: I have these bumps raising out of my skin on my upper back, shoulders, and some smaller ones on my chest.
Current medical treatment: No treatment

It is difficult to diagnose your problem without seeing it. A keloid is a type of scar which results in an overgrowth of tissue at the site of a healed skin injury. No injury was mentioned so those “bumps” are probably not keloids.

You should visit a dermatologist to diagnose your skin condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.