User Profile

I just got a bump in my pubic area, my hair is usually thick and curly so I assume it is just a ingrown hair. It does not hurt unless I touch it and is s the size of a pimple but is red and swollen, I am scared of getting a std so I just want to make sure it's not herpes, etc.
I am having sex with my boyfriend and I am scared that it may be something.
any advice or information would help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A10362

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.
Without examination, confirmation of a diagnosis is difficult, but it seems like folliculitis or a boil. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin. It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus.

A Boil is caused by an infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.
Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 30th, 2010
im really scared im 13 years old and i told my mom about this bump outside my vagina lips and im worried that it might be herpes or warts im going to get my mom to take me to a docter about it but i looked up things on websits and herpes are inside the lips of the vagina and warts are somewhere else to im just scared its purpley and i can move it abit im just really scared and dont want to have any long term deises that will stay with me for my hole life
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.