I am 15 and I recently noticed a small, pea sized, slightly painful, pinkish-red, and hard to notice bump in my right armpit. My dad says it might be an ingrown hair and he said to tough it out for a little while and if not he can get my doctor to check it out. I have checked everywhere else and this is the only bump on my body. I am somewhat fat and I can only feel the bump when I press my armpit and feel around for it. Instead of shaving my sister talked me into waxing so hair would not grow for a while thus I believe it may be an ingrown hair.

Please Help,
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2009
Most of the time, bumps in the skin of the armpit area are skin cysts, or areas of inflammation around the hair follicles. In some cases, armpit lumps can also represent breast lumps (in females) or enlarged lymph nodes.

It is impossible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet, and so if this lump persists or enlarges, then you should have your doctor evaluate you.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS


A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 13th, 2009
If your are a teenager, this bump underarm could be a hormonal thing. This happened to me when 1 years old. The doctor advised my mother to keep a close watch on the lump for six months because this was common in young girls going thru adolescents. I you are an adult it is bet to check lump out to seee if inflammation comes out, if so you have an internal boil from armpit shaving and is in need f antibotics. On the other hand i hvea a friend who is a male who had a lump the size of egg and had a very serious disease. So if inflammation does not ooze out check with your doctor immmediately!
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.