About two years ago I developed bulimia but I was not obsessive about it and only purged occasionally. It got a little more recurrent so I went to see a therapist. While I was not cured when I stopped the sessions, I was much better. I even decided to stop on my own shortly after. There were a couple one-time only relapses and then life carried on as normal.

This brings me to today. Recently, I have noticed the same trends in my mentality as before. In fact, I have purged twice this month. I do not think this will become a trend. I will not let it. And yes, I do have the power to stop! While I now know the health effects and the inefficiency of purging, I feel that every once and a blue moon (once every couple of months) isn't really a big problem. I see it more as something I need to work on. Am I wrong in this mentality? Also, how serious are the side effects for this very occasional behavior?

Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
Experienced User
hi, it sounds like you are relapes again, i am recovering from cunpulsave eating problems and have srugled with relapes myself. you might find a couse of councling helps to identify the tigers to the belimic behayour and find more positive expressions of the emotions. but thogh the ecovery pland relapecs can help, but being simptom free is the best in the long run, but it could take serveral years.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi lollipopguild

I think that any type of thinking or mentality that condones purging, even if it's just every few months is not good. Before you know it, you might start thinking that twice a month is okay, then once a week is okay, then once every few days... and so on.

Making yourself vomit on purpose (unless you drank too much alcohol or know that you have just eaten fish from a dodgy source) is never acceptable. Even the two exceptions given should never occur because you should make sure you don't put yourself in that position.

Finally, making yourself vomit on purpose, even occasionally, will definitely have some health effects.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....