Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Bulemia and hair loss in men

Good afternoon. I'm a 32 year old guy and "suffered" with bulemia for almost 10 years. Sometimes making myself sick 5+ times a day. Other periods I can go for a couple of months without doing it. I.e when I'm eating healthy and exercising.

About 2 years ago I noticed my hair thinning on top. It seemed rather sudden. It's mostly On my crown where I'd expect baldness in older age but also right down the middle of my head but to a slightly lesser degree.

I'm not sure if this is male pattern baldness or a result of bulemia. My dad didn't start to lose his hair until his forties.

Is there any way to know, without medical advice?

All this time id assumed it was MPB and started shaving my hair short. Which was a blow to my confidence and hasn't helped my eating disorder one bit. It's actually been quite a driving force.

I know that it could take over a year to recover, if it were a result of bulemia but I don't know how the hell to figure out the cause.

Any help or advice would be great.

I cannot for the life of me find any picture examples of male hair loss from bulemia.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2017
Hopefully you are getting the support you need to maintain healthy eating. In addition to the psychological distress of bulimia, there are a number of physiological problems that can develop, of which hair loss is just one.Hair is made of a protein called keratin, the same protein also found in skin and nails.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....