I know this probably isn't the right forum but I was unsure about where to post this. Forgive me.

I think I have a buffalo hump but I'm not sure what the cause might be. I'm a 21 year old female and I was thin all of my life until about 4 years ago. I am now about 50 pounds over weight and the weight gain was not rapid. It came on slowly from overeating and inactivity. It is not localized to any one area though I have always had a stomach that protruded and is disproportionately large for the rest of my body especially after eating a meal (even a very small one), even as a very small child it was this way. I can suck it in and make it look normal though. I started noticing a hump at the top of me back around a year and a half ago. I am not on any Antiretroviral drugs, I am not diabetic, and no one else in my family (immediate and extended) on either side has one. I'm confused and embarrassed and I just wish I could figure out why. Does anyone have any insight for me at all?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You may want to consult with an orthopedic doctor about this. This could be a skeletal problem. It may be a fatty deposit as well. I would rule out any orthopedic cause first. Have you discussed your concerns with your primary physician? That may be a starting point for you.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 9th, 2008
A buffalo hump is a common marker for something called Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS for short). Weight gain is common along with facial hair and bad menstrual cycles. If you have these symptoms, you should ask for a referral to an endrocrinologist to confirm diagnosis.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 7th, 2010
Buffalo Hump
It could be cushing's syndrome. Buffalo hump is a signature symptom, weight gain as well, abnormal presence of facial hair.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This could be due to obesity or hypercortisolism.
I would suggest you to have 24 hour urinary cortisol to sort it out.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.