Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Bruises , broken bones , and osteoporosis

User Profile
I reached in the backseat of my car last week and it felt like a bone snapped into! It hurt badly for a couple of days but much better now. However, a day after the injury, I noticed a very small bruise on my upper right arm. It is now much bigger and I know I did not run into anything! I saw my doctor a few days later about something else and she said she was sure I DID bump into something and don't remember. It is large! Should I get a second opinion? What might it be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
General Q and A Answer A6588

Every bruise should become smaller in one week after it appeared. Once the bruise completely disappears the pain should be gone, too. If the pain still exists it is possible that damage to the bone might be present.

It seems likely that the absence of big pain indicates that the bone is probably not broken. But this cannot be ruled out for sure without an X-ray. It is possible that even if there is no fracture, the X-ray might discover a bone fissure.

Given your age, it might be a result of osteoporosis, which should be treated immediately after the bone problem. Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bone density is decreased due to demineralization. The decreased density makes the bone more susceptible to fractures which is the first and only symptom of osteoporosis. Therefore, prevention is very important for osteoporosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.