I had a sudden stinging and painful sensation in my leg, below my right knee to "my left" on my calve. When i felt the pain, there was a fist-size swollen bruise. It was oddly shaped at first, and had a greenish color. I got scared, thinking it was a busted vein or something worse, so I went to the ER. They just told me it was a hemotoma (spelling??). This happened a week ago. now its the diameter of about 5"-6". the bruising is now a ring and the center is still a little swollen and still has a little sting and pain to it. The color is now turning yellow (which the dr at the ER said it would turn) BUT...its now itching. I don't get it. I have never had a sudden bruise and never had a bruise that itched inside. Any info would help. I don't have a follow-up until next monday (the only time my dr had available time for me). Thank you for your time and any information would help.

p.s. I took pictures from the first day to every other day to today. (if needed)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2009
The SAME thing happened to my wrist 2 days ago! I was holding my some(32 pounds) and felt a sudden sting, like a bug bite. When I looked at it there was an enormous swollen bruise that was like a thumb protruding out of my wrist. Today, it started itching real bad. A few months ago my allergist told me I had urticria pigmentosa and that my skin was extremly sensitive so itching it normal for me, just never on a bruise. Do you have info yet?
|

replied October 13th, 2009
Greentree31,

I am suffering from similar ring shaped bruise.
Any update of your bout with this.

Thanks
|

replied November 20th, 2012
Stinging bruise
I had the same thing happen to me! I was standing there and bang! I felt stinging in my upper thigh it went red like a scratch and then broke out in a bruise. Very swollen and sore I went to the doctors. He said it was probably a bug bite and have me Keflex and a tetanus shot. It's been a week and the area is still bruised and stinging, itchy sensation. In the middle of the bruise its lighter in colour. I'm going to go back to the doctor, I hope it's not a clot Sad
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
jess868,

If it is the continued itching/stinging that is causing you to see the physician again, that is fine.

But, it is not uncommon for a bruise to "hang around", while changing colors for a couple of weeks.

In terms of the clot, I assume you mean that you hope it is not a clot in a vein. That would actually be very uncommon. Bruising, which can be seen under the skin is from injury to some tiny blood vessels, which has allowed the blood to leak into the surrounding soft tissues. If the blood pools in the soft tissues, this is known an a hematoma. To be absolutely correct, a hematoma is actually a clot of blood, just not inside a blood vessel.

Usually, a clot in a vessel is called a thrombosis. If it is located in the deep system of veins, deep in the muscles of the thigh, then it is called a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). It is the DVTs in the deep thigh and pelvis that have the potential to go to the heart.

A hematoma (blood clot in soft tissues) does not do that.

So, again, if you are still have problems with the itching and stinging, do see your physician again. But, do not be too worried about a DVT.

Good luck.
|

replied December 15th, 2013
Stinging feeling on outer leg
I had the same thing happen to me on Friday. I was at park with dogs and thought I was stung by something. I looked out my outer calf and the vein was popping out. Then the next day I notice a big bruise and soreness. Should I be alarmed and go have it checked out?
|

replied December 16th, 2013
Sting feeling/bruise in leg
I had the same thing happen to me on Friday. I was at park with dogs and thought I was stung by something. I looked out my outer calf and the vein was popping out. Then the next day I notice a big bruise and soreness. Should I be alarmed and go have it checked out?
|
Tags: swollen
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....