Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Brown phlegm in throat and fever

User Profile
Hi I am straight and I have had protected sex with a streetwalker(whose status is unknown) on 17th Jan this year. I couldn’t confirm that the condom was on/did not break throughout the entire sexual penetrative intercourse.
Today is my 23rd day after exposure and I started to develop a slight fever(from 37.4 to 37.7degrees Celsius) and a sore throat. I also have muscle and joint pains(like when you fall ill). I can feel my body fighting off some virus, and I have brownish green phlegm from my throat as well.
I know HIV seroconversion takes place from 2-6wks and I am currently at my 3rd week now. I’m worried sick. I had a 4th Gen HIV test on my 17th day after exposure and it was negative.
Is brown phlegm from the throat and mild fever/sore throat indicative of potential HIV? I’m also feeling cold when the weather is sunny. Please advice.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2018
HIV and AIDS Answer A63100
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely cause of your symptoms would be due to common viral infections (common cold) which are common when you come in close contact (as during handshakes during meetings, kissing, sexual intercourse, etc) with new individuals, when nasal or oral secretions can be passed on to infect others.

Most of these cases improve on their own within a few days without treatment. Some measures like adequate rest, anti-inflammatory medications (advil, tylenol), good diet can help in recovery.

FYI, Using protection in the form of condoms during penetrative vaginal sex and or oral sex, helps to prevent possible infections, and hence the risk is reduced. But in case the condom is not used properly or it breaks during sexual activity, the risk of infections would be high.

As per your history the actual risk of contracting HIV due to a single encounter is very low or unlikely.

As per CDC and WHO recommendations, any person who is suspected of being exposed to HIV should get HIV tests (ELISA Antibody test for HIV 1 & 2 ) at least after 4 weeks post exposure.

In case the HIV antibody test is negative, repeat testing is recommended every 4 weeks upto 6 months.

But in cases of very low risk of HIV infection, testing at 12 weeks can be considered as conclusive

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.