Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Brown discharge and feeling sick

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have a brown/red discharge, i am on contraception i have the coyle in my arm, i also feel sick, it wasnt until recently i noticed this red/bown discharge after casual sex. I also finished my period a few days ago, and have never had this discharge as long as this,it sometimes smells. What is causing this and what is? I also have

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
Sexual Health - Women Answer A7704
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth's Ask a Doctor forum.

A symptom of brownish discharge on birth control pill is normal. It can also be blood mixed with normal vaginal discharge. Well the two most common causes of inter menstrual spotting or bleeding or brown discharge from vagina between periods are pregnancy and birth control pills. Other causes are hypothyroidism, cervical dysplasia, cervical polyps, cervicitis, vaginitis, cervical and uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, hormonal imbalance, use of blood thinners, genital ulcers, STDs and stress.

Common causes of vaginal bleeding after sex are STDs like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomoniasis, cervical polyps, yeast infections, endometriosis, cervical dysplasia which is a precancerous condition, uterine polyps, uterine fibroids and cervicitis.

If you have a history of unprotected sex, then STD should be ruled out first. Please consult your gynecologist as a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.