Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Brown/Black Spots on the Inside of Labia.

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
Brown/Black Spots on the Inside of Labia. Please Help.

I have 4-5 brown/blackish spots on the inside of my labia. The spots are rather and not painful to touch, they are small, ie. around 5mm or less. I have had a few incidences of irritation and itchiness in the vaginal region within the past 2 weeks. I am 20 years old and these spots have only appeared recently.

I am sexually active but I have not gone for STD testing, I have used protection except on one or possibly two occasions. I smoke cigarettes. I was also on immunosupressors for eczema four years ago. I have read up online and some forums have said that these spots could be the result of an STD or cervical cancer but I am still utterly unsure on what may be the cause and don't want to be jumping to any conclusions just yet. I also have to get tested for PCOS so I am unsure whether these spots have any relevance to it.

Can anyone offer an opinion on what this may be? Do I need to seek medical attention?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2011
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A28028
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the brown/black spots inside labia that you describe without examining it. The possibility of STD, genital warts cannot be ruled out completely. Visit your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for further evaluation and assistance. Get started on treatment as indicated by your examination findings/investigation results. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any unusual/new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. If infective cause is detected, get your partner also treated simultaneously (and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment) to prevent chances of re-infection. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.