Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Brother Just Diagnosed & Being Cruel

I just thought I'd come on here to find some support and see if anyone has ever been in the same situation. My brother was just diagnosed last week with the disorder after making claims such as that the government is after him and he has a very important corporate job that forces him to keep secrets. After 10 days in the hospital he is now home, on lithium but being very cruel towards my siblings and I to the point of verbal and emotional abuse. I find myself wanting to leave the house cuz I can't wait for the drug to kick on.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Sorry to hear you are going through this, but it is common behavior. Even though he is out of the hospital and on meds, he is still not at a stable place. Unfortunately, it will take more time for him to stablize and stop being cruel and emotionally abusive. It's fine for you to leave the house if you have somewhere safe to go. How are your parents dealing with him? Are your siblings safe? Older or younger?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...