Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

brother in law schizophrenic?

User Profile
Respected Doctors,

I am writting for your help because my wife brother got hallucinations. he is hearing voices and these voices saying to him that they are from police special group and they will put him in jail and they have camera in all his home and they can hear and watch each thing. these voices are also saying to him that they will kill him .....etc

please tell me what we have to do in this case. i just read Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation so please tell me which cure is best and can i say him that its all in his mind and not related with reality. Actually he believe that its all real.

waiting for your reply.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2011
brother in law schizophrenic?
Hello.

Your brother-in-law could be suffering from symptoms of psychosis. Psychosis is a condition where the person affected show altered behavior including hallucination (false perception) and delusions (false, unshakable beliefs). Schizophrenia is basically a type of psychosis.

For a diagnosis of his condition, he needs to be evaluated by a mental health professional such as a Psychiatrist. After taking detailed history of his symptoms and examining his mental state, the doctor can diagnose the condition. For a diagnosis of Schizophrenia, the symptoms should be there since more than 6 months.

Your brother-in-law has a false belief that the voices he hears are real or what they are telling him is a reality. And this belief seems to be unshakable at the present. He may also have a few other delusions. Looking at the symptoms, he does appear to be suffering from psychosis.

In such a state, it is usually a challenge to make the person see a doctor for his symptoms. Here, you might have to use your communication skills and try to convince him that this is for his own benefit. A direct confrontation with him might not work. You need to build trust with him and convince him that he needs a professional consultation.

It would be advisable to follow the doctor's advice as far as treatment is concerned. TMS may not be the first line of treatment. Usually the first step is a trial of anti-psychotic medication. Apart from medicines, there are other modes of treatment such as ECT (electro-convulsive therapy).

A visit to the Psychiatrist's office is the first step.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.