Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Brother depressed over school ?

User Profile
Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you regarding my brother. I need advise what shell i do.
He is 28 years old and currently he is an student in Germany from 6 years. Since one year it is almost impossible to find him on the phone or Skye. He is picking up his phone selectively. Because he answerer the phone to 2 friends of him but not to the rest of the friends and to us! his family! Recently he had problems with the university. Because of a one subject that he didn`t manage to pass, they put him from master to bachelor. I guess is from this but he does n`t want to speak with anybody!

Last time when i saw him it was in Spain in Sept. where he was acting absolutely normally and because he was in this mood from before, we spoke about it and he said that he will keep contact with us but since then i did`t hear his voice.

This isolation is warring everybody and i`m thinking to go and take his luggage and bring him home.i don`t want him to go deeper in this depression. What shell i do?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2009
Depression Answer A8380
Hello.

It is good to know that you are so concerned about your brother. He does seem to be going through a tough phase. But bringing him home without getting to know his side of the story may not work out.

He is obviously maintaining a low profile with reduced social contacts. This hints towards a few possibilities including depression.

You may inform him that you are coming down to Germany to see him. You can send him a letter at his local address, write him a mail and leave voice message on phone. This may prompt him to contact you back. But if you are going to Germany, talk with him. It may turn out to be nothing but a hectic study schedule due to which he may not be able to socialize much. Or he may be going through a hard time.

You may also take some feedback from his friends and the college if you like. Show your concern to him, but do not try to force things on him. At his age, he would most certainly like his own privacy and freedom of choice.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.