User Profile
We yesterday i fell on ice and hurt my tailbone and i cant walk hardly do you recommended i use crutches ? and am i allowed to use them ? and i think i broke it how can i tell ?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Arthritis Answer A19144
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

Falling on ice due to sudden loss of balance can cause many people to have severe injuries including that of the back and the pelvic bones.

The best way to deal with situations with minor injuries is adequate rest and OTC analgesics.

In case the pain is severe and disability to walk either due to weakness or associated severe pain, evaluation with X rays to look for any fracture of the bones would be necessary.

Crutches can be used by anyone who has difficulty to walk, but the actual need depends on the degree of injury, and that can be determined by a physical examination.

You might consider to consult your doctor for a physical who can evaluate you and help you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.