Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Broken Lumbar Vertebrae causing pain, loss of function

I have a broken vertebrae in my back that has caused a lot of pain including at times the loss of function in my legs, the ability to speak and bladder control and I shake.

I have only just had this diagnosed after two years of being told by doctors that my pain and problems were psychological.

In 2 years I have lost my home, job, friends and had to move to a completely new area because of financial reasons and I feel like my life is in the toilet.

I find daily tasks very difficult and am starting to think that mentally there is something wrong. I am very over emotional all the time and my moods shift quickly. I think the biggest problem apart from the pain and lack of sleep, is that I have no one to talk too and have just been told that I am on yet another waiting list to see someone about having this problem fixed.

I'm 27 and feel 90. I feel a bit stuck being alone so much. I have no family and the friends I do have live at least 100 miles away. How does someone go and meet people with this problem?

Does anyone have any advice about the things I could do as hobbies without much movement while shaking?

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Vertebral compression if present i.e a compression fracture requires emergent decompression esp if there is bowel and bladder function abnormality associated with it. Please consult a neurosurgeon or go to an E.R near you.

Vertebral fracture has no relation with aphasia, ability to speak etc.
I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist
so that a Mini mental state exam is performed.
to ascertain depression and or anxiety,
Meds can be adjusted afterwards in addition
to cognitive behavioral therapy.

wishing you best of health

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.