Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

broken femur that will not heal

Would greatly appreciate any h elp with this problem.

Had a severe femur fracture 13 years ago. It was difficult to rod, bone was not lined up took a long time to recover.

Never had any problems through the years and never thought about it. Suddenly for no reason I know, I woke up and cold not stand on my leg. Was painful in thigh but I thought it was fine since I could still move leg from hip. bend knee and move foot. after almost 3 months nursing it, found out that the rod broke avove my knee straight across like a laser line and also found that the bone was also broken.

Orthos will not do surgery. I can walk on it without crutches but it is not strong. They told me to just continue on as best I could and no surgery will be done for now.

It is a nonunion fracture and my bones are not strong.

They offered no other alternatives.

Can you help me. I hear about new approaches for bones that don't heal. If it never heals, then what? scared to imagine

Any help would be appreciated greatly thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i think risk of osteomyelitis should be ruled out. Dexa scans should eb done to rule out osteoporosis or osteopenia and treatment accordingly should be started.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.