I was playing basketball about 8-9 weeks ago, and collided with a player going for a rebound. I was in horrible pain, heard something crack, and went home from school. Pain had not subsided, and that Saturday we went to an urgent care facility and they thought my shoulder was out of place. We got an x-ray and the doctor claimed there was nothing wrong and that it was merely bruised. The swelling had not gone down and I was confused so I was about to go to my family practice doctor when I got a call from the urgent care facility telling me that the radiologist had called and said he found a fracture in my collarbone. My family practice doctor told me that since it had been missed, it wasnt too bad and I could wear nothing on it.

Well, it's been 7 weeks since that visit, my collarbone still hurts, the swelling has not gone down hardly any at all. I have a little bit range of motion back, but not much. I'm 18 years old, and could use my full function of my left arm haha.

Please help me solve what I need to do next.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 10th, 2008
anyone????
|

replied May 27th, 2012
my broken collarbone experience
I fell off my bycycle 6 weeks ago and was taken to a hospital , it was x-rayed and i was told i had a bad single break but it would heal by itself . 3 weeks later i went back for more x-rays and the clavicle bone had not changed , in fact it had now formed a non union . I was then advised to do physio , which i thought strange as the bones were grinding and i was getting extreme pain all the time . I again phoned the hospital and begged for the operation but was still refused . I then went and spoke to my doctor who immediatly put me on a waiting list at another hospital . Within 3 days i recieved a phone call saying an appointment was setup for me the next day . I arrived at the hospital the next day and spoke with the doctor whom id just met . He took 1 look at my x-rays and told me to be there at 7 am the following morning . The very next day i went into surgery and had an 8 holed titanium theses (plate) put in with 6 screws and kept overnight . Sure i was dosed up on painkillers but 3 days later ive never felt better in the 7 weeks leed up to this day as i am feeling right now . I feel like a huge weight has been taken off my shoulder (excuse the pun) The plate can be felt through the skin but thats nothing , my friend with the same cond didnt have the operation ,now he has an old mans ghostly finger protuding through his shoulder not to mention the problems associated with it .I highly recommend in my case this operation was necessary , Its a case by case scenario that does need to be assesed by a good doctor .My doctor was for me a life saver who made the right decision and i cannot speak more highly of his proffessional services , and i recomemend to anybody who needs this operation .
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You might not have actually broken anything except for that one small part of your collar bone, which has probably healed ok, but that doesn't mean that other things that an X-ray isn't going to show are ok: in the place that they are originally intended to be.

Try making a visit to the chiropractor. You might have lost some space in your neck or have similar injuries of displacement that are causing the pain and inflammation. You can have your x-rays transferred to him so that you won't have to have them taken twice. Use cold compresses on the area as much as you can: about 15 minutes every hour that you have the time to do it (but no more than that).
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....