I broke my collar bone 3 weeks ago and had to wait til last week to have my surgery (I had a metal plate put in)..I NEED to get back to work ASAP..I'm a blackjack dealer at a pool in Las Vegas..and I love it, I'm not doing any lifting at all...anyone think when I could get back? This happend to my left shoulder and I'm right handed and like I said I do no lifting of any kind..thanks!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Ljeanxolj,

Sorry about your injury and troubles.

It will probably be a couple more weeks, at least, till you can get back to your usual activities.

You have to understand that the clavicle is the only bony attachment of the upper extremity to the axial skeleton (the spine). So, the weight of the arm is transfered through the clavicle.

The internal fixation is just an internal splint. It cannot stand up to a lot of activity. It is there just to hold the bones together until they heal. The plate and screws cannot hold up to usual activity. You can pull the screws out of the bone.

Once there is callus formation around the fracture site, then usually activity will be advanced. It usually takes a clavicle fracture about six weeks to unite. But, callus formation will usually start at about three weeks or so.

You need to ask your surgeon as to when you can return to your usual job.

Good luck. Wishing you the best.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
Thank you Gaelic!!!! I spoke with my dr today and he said I can't get back to light duties and take the sling off in 2 weeks!!
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Ljeanxolj,

Glad that you spoke to your surgeon. Hope you get back to full activity soon.

Good luck.
|