Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Broken Ankle, is my cast too tight?

I broke and dislocated my ankle exactly a week ago today. It was very badly dislocated, and also I had a bad fracture on the fibula. I got surgery and have a cast on. When I have my foot elevated, or even parallel to the ground it is normal. But when I have my foot down my toes swell up and turn a blue/purple colour. As soon as I elevate my foot the toes go back to normal. Is this due to my cast being too tight and cutting off circulation, or is this quite normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2019
Yes the finding you described is not normal. There should not be any cyanosis with this change of position. The cost should be re-examined and a Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs can be advised to determine the patency of the Wessels The cast should be re-examined and a Doppler ultrasound of the lower limbs can be advised to determine the patency of the peripheral Vessels.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Broken Bones , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.