I fractured my ankle 3 weeks ago. was put in the ole pain in the butt boot . Craziest thing happened. My ankle started hurting again two days ago , I could only lay it one way in the bed which was weird cause it wasn't bothering me anymore, any-who the next day at 5 am in the bed it goes POP . I felt my ankle pop and its pain city all over again. Aggravated, I call the Or tho and cant get in till Monday to see what in the world happened. Anyway my question is have you ever heard of re-fracturing a healing ankle while its in the boot. I don't know if that's what happened but this pain sucks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2014
Especially eHealthy
TeaQ,

It would be very rare for a patient to "refracture" a bone while it is immobilized and with minimal stress applied. It would be more common for a fracture to not have actually healed completely yet at three weeks, and then when minimal stress is applied (even in immobilization), the bones at the fracture site could move, causing the pop.

Scar tissue can also cause pops around the injury site, but again, tearing of scar tissue usually takes more stress.

The big question is why did the ankle start hurting again. Did you increase your activity level? Was there a change in immobilization? That is what you need to be asking your surgeon. Usually, when fractures are healing properly, the discomfort gradually and continuously decreases. There has to be a reason as to why you suddenly had an increase in pain about your ankle.

Hope you are doing better.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?