Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

broke my tibia bone in 3 places

I am 48 years old and I broke my tibia bone(at the bottom) in 3 places on February 11, 2013. They were clean breaks. I didn't have surgery. I have a full leg cast on since Feb. 15th. Do you know how long I will have to have the full leg cast on and what are the next steps in healing this bone. Any other information regarding the healing time or anything else would be appreciated. I have never broken a bone before or I don't know anyone else who broke any bones.
Thank you for you help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
newfie70,

Sorry about your injury.

Since you did not have any displacement of the fracture, this would be considered a low energy injury. Thus, it usually takes about 10-13 weeks for a low energy tibia fracture to unite (give or take).

Now, this is only for healing of the bone. It will take longer for complete rehabilitation of the limb.

Hopefully, once you start to show healing of the fracture, the surgeon will be able to reduce the cast to a below knee one. This way you can start working on knee motion and maybe putting some weight on the foot.

So, you still have a long ways to go, not only for fracture healing, but for overall recovery. You will lose a lot of muscle mass (atrophy) and the knee/ankle joints will be very stiff.

But, for now, you big worry is to get the bone to heal. Do not smoke. Eat a proper diet, with extra protein, calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. When your surgeon states that you can start bearing weight, do so. But, it is going to take some time.

Good luck. Wishing you the best.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: newfie70 

replied March 14th, 2013
Thank you for your information. It gives me an idea what I have to look forward to.
Thanks again.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....