Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

broke my fibula bone playing football

hi i recently broke my fibula bone playing football, the break was nowhere near the ankle or knee it was in the middle, after it had happened i was still able to put weight on it and there was no pain, i was able to move my foot up and down and rotate, but all i could feel was a pressure like feeling in the middle of my lower leg, i have been put in a cast but i dont feel that it is necessary and i would like your advice on recovery time etc?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
SK90,

Midshaft fibular fractures are usually due to a direct blow. Since the fibula is a nonweight bearing bone, these fractures are usually treated symptomatically.

As to not being in a cast, that is up to you. If you are an adult, you do not have to go along with any treatment suggested, it is said to be "against medical advice", and you usually have to sign a waiver that you are accepting full responsibility if anything untoward happens.

But, again, if you do not want to be in a cast, you do not have to be. Also, again, most midshaft fibular fractures can be treated with decreased activity, and do not necessarily need to be placed in a cast. Usually, the immobilization is for the comfort of the patient only.

If you do not want to have the cast on, ask to have it removed.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?