Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Bright red bleeding for 2+ weeks

I had laproscopic surgery to remove cysts off of my left ovary about 5 weeks ago. I immediately started taking norethindrone. A week later I missed my period - which has been regular for 22 years. About two weeks ago (3 weeks after surgery) I discharged a large amount of clots and dark blood. From there on out I have been bleeding bright red with the occasional clot. I stopped the norethindrone a few days ago.
Two weeks of bleeding bright red has raised a flag for me and I''m not sure if its something that will pass or I should go back to see the doc prior to my scheduled appt in two months. Thanks for any comments.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2010

Given the symptoms you mentioned(Bleeding with dark blood and clots, bleeding for 2 weeks), the probable cause could be related to the norethindrone use, and withdrawl bleeding after stopping the use.

Consult your Gyne or your treating doctor regarding the same if the bleeding and clots are still present. The bleeding continuing for two weeks is definitely a red flag raiser and I recommend you not to delay your appointment anymore.

Please take appointment and consultation as early as possible with your treating doctor.
Since I am not examining you personally, giving exact online diagnosis will not be possible.

Once the exact cause is made out, appropriate treatment can initiated.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.