I am an 18 year old female. Recently (for the past month plus). I have had extreme trouble breathing. I feel like I cannot catch a breath. When I finally do catch one, it feels like I am short of air and need to immediately take a big breath. I find myself yawning alot just so I can have relief.

I have been to several doctors about this problem. The first said I was hyperventilating and it would go away on its own. Well it hasn't. I then went to the pulmologist. She said she suspected asthma and perhaps allergies as well. She gave me some medication including an albuterol inhaler. My dad who also has asthma says the albuterol is an instant relief but it has absolutely no effect on me. My other medication isn't helping either. I am also taking claritin with no effect. Any ideas of what this could be? I'm absolutely miserable and cannot sleep at night. I was originally thinking anxiety, but I am not an anxious person and am not stressed about anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
When does this problem usually occur?
Do you find it connected to certain situations?
Is this a daily trouble?
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Your dad is right, Albuterol is a fast acting bronchodilator, which opens up your airways so that you can breathe again. Long term corticosteroids are often prescribed to control inflammation in the long run. Usually, doctors prescribe a combination of fast acting inhalers and some sort of steroid to control inflammation for long term management of asthma. The truth is, that many of these conventional treatments have been shown to have many negative side effects. That is not to say they don't work.

I would recommend that you continue seeing your doctor and trying to find out when you feel short of breath. perhaps collectively you guys can figure out why you're having difficulty breathing. I've had similar symptoms for most of my life. Turns out I have exercise-induced asthma. I find that sitting up straight and breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth really helps. Posture is very important as the airways are fully opened when one sits up straight. You might also try yoga, it helps to control breathing and i've found it to be beneficial. Hope this helps!
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....