I am a 18 year old female who has never really delt with anxiety before. I am not particularly stressed about anything and I don't believe I have any of the "typical" symptoms of anxiety. However for the past MONTH I have constantly not been able to breathe. I feel a tightness in my chest and feel like I can't catch a deep breath. When I finally do, it immediatley begins to feel like I need another deep breath because I constantly feel out of air. Sometimes sitting up can help, and when I lay down the symptoms are the worst. Has anyone experienced this? I have tried albuterol and other asthma and allergy medications and none seem to work. The doctor says my breathing sounds fine and doesn't offer much explination. I have begun to think it is anxiety although at the moment the only thing I am anxious about is my breathing. Could I have anxiety and no know about it? If you think this is the case, what would you recommend. I desperately want to get rid of this. It keeps me awake at night and I feel like I never have any relief. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Steph,
I think you have answered you own question hon. Yes, an anxiety attack can bring on a change in breathing patterns and visa versa. Your probably already to the point that you worry about your breathing and it in itself brings on a panic attack which makes the breathing even worsen. IMHO, the best thing to do is to be clear cut with your doctor and tell him/her that you think you have an anxiety disorder and give the sytoms and reason why you feel that you might. You might just need a little relaxer or non-narcotic sleeping pill. I would surly ask though.

CD
|

replied May 14th, 2008
Steph: I know what you mean. My biggest difficulty was breathing too. However, in my case it felt like I was being choked. Like my airway was being cut off somehow. I know now that it was all in my head. A false symptom brought on by my anxiety and panic disorder. Like CarolDiane said, you begin to anticipate your breathing difficulty and that makes it snowball even worse. Once you recognize it for what it is - a false alarm - you can begin to focus your thoughts elsewhere and get through it OK.
|
Users who thank opeth for this post: CarolDiane 
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...