User Profile
I am 18 years old and I have a problem with my nipple. It is swollen enough that you can see the areola anymore, its a completely different colour than my left one and is super irritating. It has been like this for around 7 months now. I went to a GP and they didn't know what it was so they referred me to a hospital which I am going to in a few days. I cant help but feel nervous.

Any reasons why its like this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2018
Breasts Answer A64380
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the underlying cause for the altered appearance of nipple that you describe without further evaluation. Do not delay your visit to your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation. Look out for development of other symptoms like fever, radiating pain or worsening of pain, changes in skin covering breasts, other changes in nipple, etc. If there has been history of breast cancer in your family, getting a screening mammogram along with tumor marker test done will be helpful to predict your chances of developing breast cancer. Further treatment options would be discussed with your treating doctor/gynecologist based on examination findings and investigation results. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.