User Profile
Five years ago, I underwent two lumpectomies, both with benign tumors. I had a lot of bloody nipple discharge. Currently, my right breast now has clear discharge coming out of the nipple, from several spots. There is also a spot on the areola, surrounding the nipple, where there appears to be an opening, with blood coming out. It appears as though the skin in that area has "eroded." It is also very itchy, and the skin is not particularly dry. I have not engaged in, or encountered something that would cause trauma to the breast; it all just happened. I carry both breast cancer genes. Should I be concerned about this? It has been present for nearly a month.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2012
Breasts Answer A40670
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Discharge from nipple is unusual(other than pregnancy) can be due to:
1)Duct papilloma: Benign growth and is usually harmless.

2)Breast abscess: due to bacterial infection pus is formed.

3)Duct ectasia:Usually in woman reaching menopause.
Some other causes could be thyroid hormone abnormalities,hormonal changes, drug effect etc.It is difficult to comment without a thorough examination and investigations. Since you have a previous history and also it has been for a month kindly visit your Health care provider for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.