Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Breastfeeding and Nursing Forum

Breastfeeding and Constipation - Toddler

My 3.5 yr old daughter is still breastfeeding. She also is afraid of pooping because she says it hurts. She holds in her poop. We added water, fiber and even laxatives and try to talk with her about pooping. We've been to doctors many times. Several doctors told me to stop breastfeeding, and my husband wants me to. They say that she refuses vegetables and fruit and other fiber rich food because she is full from breastfeeding. I think breastfeeding has a lot of emotional and health benefits for her, and that her constipation might even get worse if I stop, since breastmilk has so much water in it. Should I listen to the doctors and stop breastfeeding? Will that help my daughter get hungrier and eat more fiber? Thanks for your help. This is a stressful situation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2018
Hello.
Welcome to this forum.
You are staying with your wrong belief regarding breastfeeding and that hampers the poor babies health. Breastfeeding after two years is of no use and if you continue this,,,, it will further worsen the constipation and baby's development.I think you know these all very well but fails to realize. Answer or suggestion here is very simple : stop the breastfeeding and expose the child to normal foods.
Hope I can address your query. Please visit your doctor if there is any further confusion as without a clinical examination it is not possible to opine through an online medical forum.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breastfeeding and Nursing , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.