Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Breastfeeder's, i need your help!

User Profile
Right so i'm trying to wean Mika off the breast but she is having none of it. I made the mistake of lettingher go to sleep during afeed atnight andthen i put her into her cot and now of course she's used to that andwon't go to sleep without medoing that. My health visitor sugessted i give her a little warm cows milk in a cup and see if she'll settle down with that but all she does is take a few sips then throw her cup across the room. She also still wakes up at night for a feed, i know that she's not actually hungry because she only feeds for 2 minutes maximum then goes back to sleep. It's just dawned on mehowquick college is coming around and i really need to have her completly weaned by then and sleping through the night because i'll have to be up at 5am every morning for two years so an unbroken night's sleep would make things alot easier.
Any help will be appriciated because i am truly stuck for ideas!
Danni x
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
She doesn't want a sippy cup of cows milk from you. She wants the boob from you. If anyone else can help you get her to bed to get her off that last feed, it will work out easier on both of you.

I know it will be hard work the first few times, but don't give her that middle of the night feed either. Once she stops getting it, she'll stop waking for it. I know, saying it is easier than living it! She doesn't need it though, she is just looking for the comfort.

Good luck making this transition.
|
Users who thank Mabel for this post: Dannzibelle 

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Supporter
Thank you! Dom's tried givingher the sippy cup but he's rubbish because he hates seeing her upset so hekeeps bugging me to feed her,if only he had boobs then maybe he'd know! I'll trythat later on when she wakes up, it's 9.45pm and she'll wake up at around 1am so dom will still be awake too if i need some company lol
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Good luck!!
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
I started getting worried about Eadie being weaned by September too because I am going back to University. She wouldn't take a bottle at all up until just recently but now that she is so active, she sometimes would rather have a bottle during the daytime than sit still to nurse. Maybe you could try to get her only on bottles during the day (or sippy cup) and worry about her nighttime nursing once that's established. Just a suggestion! Not telling you what to do or anything. I was so happy that I got Eadie to take bottles of formula during the day (got tired of pumping my breastmilk out only to throw it all away) and she took the bottle so well that my milk supply went way down! After my milk supply went down she started to lose interest in nursing because she was hardly getting anything. I was so sad because I thought I had weaned her by accident, but now my supply is back up and she is nursing again. Anyway, I just thought my almost accidental weaning story might help you a little. As for night time waking, I keep reading and being told that it doesn't matter what or how she is eating, that she will likely still wake at night and want to be held.
|
Users who thank killbill for this post: Dannzibelle 

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Supporter
I might try to give Meeks some breast milk in a sippy cup,i know that she won't take a bottle for sure, they confuse her lol. Even if i can just get her to not actualy need me there for the feed that would be great because then that would give me the chance to geton with some of my coursework or cleaning etc.
Lets just say last night didn't go well, i tried not to giveher thefeed and then because she didn't get what she wanted straight away she cried for over an hour, i guess practise makes perfect!
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Experienced User
Eadie was the same way with bottles. I couldn't leave her for more than 4 hours and I would be so stressed the whole time because I was worried she would be hungry. But, I just kept trying every once in a while to give her a bottle and one day she just took it and drank it down. Just like that. I guess she just decided it was time or she was so distracted by the other things going on that she just wanted to eat and not miss anything. She's really nosy that way. Have you tried giving her formula? I don't know if it would make a difference, but she might drink it from a bottle if it tastes different from her mama's milk. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope Mika just surprises you and decides to cooperate. Wish I could help more but I'm sure you will figure it all out.
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....