Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Breast Tissue Biopsy and next

I am waiting to set up a breast biopsy due to suspicious area on my left breast. I have felt some discomfort and pain when my primary care doctor did a breast exam. After my diagnostic testing and speaking to the radiologist, who recommended a biopsy as soon as possible,(I wanted to wait 4 weeks for winter vacation since I am teacher, he said, "No!"). A staff member of the radiology department had a conference with me and handed me a list with surgeon names. Is it me, I am thinking that if cancer is present, I want to confer with an oncologist first. I want my oncologist to consult with the surgeon (I also want the oncologist to recommend a surgeon they work well with). I don't understand why I would speak to a surgeon first when I know I am dealing with cancer. I know I am thinking way ahead, but I like to have a game plan in my head instead of making an emotional decision when I get the results. Any thoughts? Advice? Razz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2016
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
Dealing with any type of cancer the approach should be holistic but first you have to confirm it to be cancer which is by doing biopsy and that is usually done by a surgeon.once the biopsy report comes and its cancer then its staging is done and then treatment can be started by oncologist and togehther whith surgeon they will decide if surgery is needed or not or before or after the chemotherpy etc. So first you have to speak to the surgeon. Oncologist cant start treatment without a confirmation.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.