Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

breast reduction surgery

I'm 27, 5'3 a little overweight but loosing it steadily, my breast size is 46ddd (always been over endowed in that area) ive been having problems with my back since my first pregnancy (im done having babies) such as back, neck, shoulder pain and indentations from my bra straps ect.. in may i go for my first consultation with the plastic surgeon that will be doing the breast reduction, im very nervous i would like to hear from anyone who is or has gone through this type of surgery, any input on what you experienced both before and after surgery, positive or negative would be greatly appreciated! how long after the first visit do you go for the surgery? thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
Hi Honey27. I am also 27, 5'3, and slightly overweight. I had a breast reduction 6 years ago. I was a 44DDD and E and I went down to a 42C (sometimes if i'm bloating or its been a stressful day they'll swell to be small D's). I was woried about my body being in proportion since I have a "ghetto booty" but am very happy with the results. I gained about 70 pounds in the last 5 years (after the procedure) and I am slowly taking it off, but for the first time the weight gain did not take place in my breasts. It was one of the BEST things I ever did and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Final Results:
I did loose some sensation in my nipples.
During my period I can sometimes have shooting pains that will go through them.
They tend to get more tender the closer I get to my period (more than before), on those days underwire bras are a killer and hurt.
The back, shoulder, and neck pain is so much more manageable.
I have scaring but not to the point of being distracting. The best way I know how to describe the scars are to think of an anchor with a circle at the top O-)

Consultation:
I had the procedure done about a month later.
During the 1st visit they did measurments, talked about the procedure and what was done, ask what size you would like to be, and take before photos.
The next visit is to remove stiches.
Another visit will take place after that and after pictures are taken.

Back Pain:
When they said that I would feel the relief in my back almost immediatly my initial thought was "yeah, because i'll be on pain meds!" But you really do notice right away that there is a lessening of tension in your back right out of surgury.

Right After the Procedure:
I'm not going to lie, it was painful and you need help for the first week.
When you wake up right after the procedure THEN they give you the pain medication.
When you 1st wake up will be the most intense pain and it is not uncommon to be very nausaous.
You will need help for about 4 to 5 days. You can't pull yourself up to a sitting position from laying down, you can't pick anything up that is more than a few pounds, and nausausness is common.
The pain meds did a good job of helping me through the pain but for about 2 days it was pretty intense, and the meds put you out of it.
They put you in a surgucal bra that you will wear for about 2 or 3 weeks. Have a few sports bras on hand in various sizes. I was surprised that when the cup size went down so did my around size (ex: 44 to a 40 or 42). I would use the sports bras while my mom would wash the surgical bra.
The didn't give me enough gauze for the amount of bleeding and seaping that took place but my dad ended up having an ingenious idea and we used overnight pads. They actually worked better than the supplies that the hospital gave us and they stayed in place better because they adheared to the bra!

I wish I had listened later on about not picking up or carying things that were more than 5 pounds, they say you shouldn't for about 2 months I think, but I didn't pay strict attention to that. While the new ones are much more "perky" I have a feeling they would have been more so if I had listened to that rule.
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2011
Breast reduction or reduction mammoplasty is a common surgical procedure which involves the reduction in the size of breasts by excising fat,skin, breast implants and glandular tissue; it may also involve a procedure to counteract drooping of the breasts.
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Hi Honey. I've been there before and it's really natural to feel nervous when you are a first-timer. I am fortunate enough to find an excellent surgeon. It was Dr. Diana Breister Ghosh who made the surgery. She's a very nice surgeon. She checks on me from time to time even after the opration and always monitor how I am doing. I felt totally cared. A big thanks to her.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
im roxan samson 26 years of age i have problem about my breast because its too big and
and my back is aching and he want my breast to reduce that why i undergo surgery of reducing my breast size,
and by the help of them they get my satisfaction.

|

replied June 17th, 2010
me also that is why im having a surgery because of pain.
and its really hurt.

|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....