Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Breast lump? What to do about it??

User Profile
I'm really worried. A few days ago I felt a small bump on my right breast, it's irregular shaped and about dime sized. It doesnt really move when I touch it and is slightly tender, but I'm not sure if that's because I keep pushing it since I'm worried or if I'm imagining it's tender. I'm only 19 and I've been trying to figure out what it all it could be. I was trying to cut back on caffeine, and I read a few things that said caffeine could cause cysts, but since I cut back about 2 weeks before I noticed this it leads me to believe it isn't a cyst and so far most of the symptoms are more of the cancerous symptoms rather than cyst symptoms so I am freaking out, but I am young so I just don't know. I just moved here and I don't have a dr yet, so what kind of dr should I see, a gynecologist or what?
Also I just switched to Jolessa birth control (seasonique generic) from Tri-sprintec and so won't have my period for another 6 weeks. I saw some people recommended others to wait until after their period to see if it goes away but that is a while to wait, so I don't know what to do...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2010
Hi,

Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. Taking your symptoms into account, the underlying cause of the pain in the breast could be due to fibroadenosis, a condition in which there’s formation of small nodules in the breast along with pain in the breast. This is a benign condition and goes away on its own. Another possibility is a fibroadenoma. This is also a bengin condition.

It makes sense to consult a general/breast surgeon and get yourself properly examined. You might need further tests like an ultrasound/FNAC of the breast mass to find the nature of the underlying pathology. Hopefully, it should be a benign condition. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.