Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

breast discoloration

I don't even know where to start. I have these purple splotches on my breasts that change color from a deep purple to burgundy to bright red to pink and everything in between. It started with just my right breast - its on the top around the inside right next to my areola, a rather large area (probably about 2" upwards and about 5" wide). It resembles a bruise, but it is not a bruise. It never goes away, but does change colors. It doesn't really hurt, in fact I have very little sensitivity in my breasts unless im pregnant (which im not right now), or (rarely) pms-ing. I talked to my dr. about it, and he looked at it, said "hmmm, its not a bruise" and wrote something down, but then told me if there is no discharge then its nothing to worry about, and that was the end of it. He said I'm too young (im 32) for a mammogram, and that im fine. Still, its concerning to me. Now I have some "splotches" on my left breast around the areola as well, although it does not cover as large of an area. I am a "big" girl, and have very big breasts - they keep growing even though i am losing weight. And I mean growing. While losing some weight (about 25 pounds) i have grown from a g cup to a j cup, and now im starting to "bulge" over the top of that. It's ridiculous! I have done breast self-exams, but i cannot tell what I feel accurately. I'm sure what i feel is normal (just lumpy muscle tissue or fat tissue or something), but i have this "gut feeling" that something is wrong. I have looked up (some) info about IBC, and while its familiar, i have had this for over a year (maybe longer). I also looked up fat necrosis, and it doesnt seem to fit well because my splotches change in color. I am so lost, and nervous. I don't want to have cancer, but if there is something wrong i want to get help sooner rather than later. Does it sound like something is really wrong or am i just blowing it all out of proportion?
Thank you in advance,
Scarlett
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kscarletts
|

replied January 13th, 2009
Experienced User
I don't think that you are blowing it out of proportion. I would be VERY scared and worried as well.

I have a lump on my right hip and I have been to 4 different doctors and neither of them can tell me what it is. I'm scared. One told me that it's just a bunch of fat cells or something clumped together, but that doesn't make sense to me, because this lump really hurts and just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I can't seem to get a straight answer on what it could be.

So, I understand how you are feeling and like I said, you are not blowing this out of proportion at all.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....