Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Breast changes and the possibility of cancer

User Profile
do I have cancer?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2009
Breasts Answer A5257

Current medical status: My aerolas are rough around the nipple. Just discovered them last week.
Current medical treatment: Putting lotion and cream on them does not help.

Given the data you provided, it is not possible to provide a direct answer whether the areola changes go towards malignancy or they are benign. The possible (though not conclusive) signs of breast cancer might be: lump, thickening, new/unusual pain, edema, warmth, redness changed skin colour, skin dimpling/puckering, itching/sensitivity/rush on areola/nipple area, nipple pointed inwards, nipple discharge, enlarged lymph nodes in the near areas, etc. It might be recommended to consult with your family doctor, who might want to perform a physical exam, do mammography (ultrasound, only if needed) and, depending on the results, maybe even a biopsy with pathohistological microscopic examination. These tests could prove the nature of your breast changes.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.