Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Brain Fog/Depersonalization etc

Hello everybody,

I just found the website and thought why not sign up and ask about my problem. Maybe there's someone out there who has the same problem as me and solved it.

I'm a fit, healthy 36 year old man but I'm suffering from something apparently no doctor can help me with. At first I thought it was vertigo but I'm not dizzy or having episodes etc. I feel like my brain is detached from the rest of my body. Every day, every second of my life I walk around knowing that I'm there but I feel like I'm not. Like I don't exist. It got really bad over the last few months and I don't know what causes it. I'm going to the gym 3-4 times a week, I feel like neck down I'm the fittest man on earth but above neck, no power, no energy. I'm going to the gym without my glasses on because of the blurry vision it makes me feel more alive. I'm doing that quite a lot because I feel more "there" when I don't wear the glasses.

I went to the doctor about it all, I've had blood tests done and all that. Everything normal. I work in front of the computer pretty much most of the day and also in the evenings. I've got dogs and also go out enough. I'm loving life and couldn't be further away from having depression. I also don't think it's stress. Maybe Anxiety for stuff that happened in the past? I eat carbs for brain energy, eat yoghurt etc... I don't drink alcohol at all, I don't do drugs. I eat fast food only once in a while. I'm also taking my fish oil supplements, magnesium, calcium etc.

I feel like I'm stuck in a dream. When you get up in the morning, just before you're fully awake, that's the stage I'm constantly in and I don't seem to be able to get out of it.

Does anyone out there have the same problem?

Thanks guys!
R
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2015
Hi, I am soon 38 years old and I have been having this dreamlike state thing on and off for over a year now. I had really bad case of burnout from work, depression and after that I have been having anxiety.

The depression medication removed my feelings, therefore I wasn't able to feel anxiety. After I stopped taking the medication a couple of months ago my anxiety has bloomed again, but only now I have understood I have been having anxiety for many years before my burnout.

My anxiety gets bad mostly at work, I am back to the same work and partly the same tasks I was doing before my burnout so that's obviously what affects my feelings.

But I think that the dreamlike state is your brain trying to figure out who you are supposed to be. There probably has happened some type of paradigm shift in you life which forces you to take new stances about yourself and the way you want to live your life.

I know personally I feel like I am stuck with my job because I feel I have pushed myself into this "sitting in front of the computer" -career. And that's because it has been in my childhood the biggest thing that has defined me, the way to freedom, but now it feels like a weight on my shoulders.

So it may be that deep inside, you yearn for working more with people than machines. I know I do. It may be therefore that your feelings/emotions are not in good enough contact with your thoughts, because for example some previously repressed emotions have arisen to your consciousness. In my case I have many repressed emotions because of my childhood and those are the fuel for my anxiety.

Every thought you ever think gets processed through your emotions, and if your feelings towards your life have changed, although you may not understand it yet yourself, your thoughts may get tangled in the process.

I hope you get your feelings and thoughts connected well enough eventually to get rid of your mental fog and derealisation.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...