Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Brain and cervical spine lesions

User Profile
I had an attack that was diagnosed as MS eight years ago. The left side of my body went totally numb and two lesions appeared on my cervical spine, T2 and T5. Spinal tap contained white blood cells and demyelination proteins. After three months the symptoms were gone and my MRIs were normal for 6 years. EEG was normal. I underwent ECT to remove me from a toxic level of medications prescribed by a psychiatrist in a case of neglegent misdiagnosis. After the first five treatments, while on Lithium, I suffered focal seizures and amnesia for 3 months. Treatment was discontinued and picked back up six months later. After a few months I developed severe and permanent memory loss. An MRI revealed 6 lesions in the frontal lobe. ECT was discontinued. Three months later a f/u MRI revealed a large lesion on the parital lobe and corpus callosum. Spinal tap was negative for protein. Lesions did not enhance. EEG was abnormal directly following ECT. One year later two new lesions were found at T3 and T6 cervical spine.

I am now told that it doesn't seem to be MS since there has been no progression in symptoms other than the lesions. Another doctor told me you can have one attack of MS alone. Can the lesions be caused by something else other than MS? Several autoimmune conditions including lupus and sjogrens has been r/o although one sjorgrens test was mildly elevated. All nurological exams have been normal for over 8 years.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile suzieq58
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2009
Supporter
If I were you I would be thankful that it's not MS or Lupus and that none of the symptoms have returned after 8 years. Why did they have you on Lithium?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
An unfortunate choice of doctors. I was having mood swings and insomia. He concluded I had Bipolar disorder. The more I did not respond to the med or had bad side effects, the more meds he prescribed. AS it turned out I had begun menopause which causes mood swings and insomia. The symptoms were made worse due to side effects of of the drugs he prescribed. Now I am on estrogen replacement and no other meds and am doing well. Unfortunately, he over dosing of meds led to kidney damage, memory problems and nearly costed my life. Regarding the MS, to date I have sevreal doctors claiming it is MS and several others saying it isn't. I have not been able to get a straight answer yet. The most common answer I get is "your condition is complex and perplexing." I am allergic to the traditional MS drugs so I am not on anything to prevent further development of lesions. I'd just like to know what is causing them and when will it stop? The lesions have caused short & long term memory loss, cognitive disturbances, spatial memory loss and difficulty learning new tasks rendering me disabled. I'm no longer smarter than a fifth grader. I was a honor student in college. Oh well....
|

replied June 11th, 2012
Hi Suzieq58, it is now june 2012 how are you doing? the reason i ask is my cousin is in the hospital now with numbness in her right side they are saying MS. they just did a spinal tap and MRI they said she also has lesions on her spine. OMG can you offer any advise? Hope you are well and i will pass your store on the her maybe she will find it helpful. All the best to you.
(never bloged before dont know how this works) hahaha
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
It's getting to the point where it's so difficult to trust doctors anymore and each one will tell you something different. Once THEY drive you crazy they send you to the psychiatrist who of course diagnoses everyone with bipolar. If you're a little moody you must be bipolar. I had the same thing happen to me and was also given Lithium. It made me dizzy 24/7 and hallucinate at night. Have you done research to see what else can cause the lesions? The unknown is horrible. It's also horrible that you can't get a proper diagnosis for what is causing them. I hope you find some answers soon!
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
We have reserched it from every possible angle. Some research says lesions can be caused by migraines, or concussions, both which I've had my share. However, that would not explain them disappearing for 8 years. One doctor told me my first attack had been Transverse Mylytis,(a one time attack similar to or the precursor to MS. MS can also be brought on by viral infections. I have had mono and viral pnemonia on two occasions. Whether that is related I don't know. One doctor who examined me from head to toe and ran every test possible said, "first we will r/o that which can kill you, then that which could maim you. Then will be be left which that which is annoying." Good news though for those with MS - Europe is fast tracking two highly effective drugs that can be taken orally rather than by injection.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
Very strange! Yes, I've heard the medications for MS are very successful now. Memory loss can be from a lot of things though. I know a couple of people who suffer from MS and they get quite a bit of dizzy spells and a lot of body pain. I think they call it vertigo..Do you suffer from those symptoms?
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
I have constant pain in my feet, knees, back and neck. If I bend my left elbow (the side which was affected by the original attack)or rest it on something I end up with dead arm, no feeling, no control - just ice cold and limp. I am adversely affected by temperatures over 85 degrees. I occasionaly find myself doing a side step and losing balance (which is easy because I have none). I am always fatigued. Yes. Sounds like MS, but tests do not agree and the fact that I have not progressed or had another attack like the original one leave this condition a mystery.
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2009
Supporter
Suzie--pain in feet, back and neck pain,side stepping, dead arm,fatigued, adversly affected by temperature change--these are all things I have and sound like Autoimmune stuff like Fibromyalgia-which I have..This includes the memory fog..I also have white spots that show up on my MRI and though I have MS symptoms I am told I do not have MS..

WIth Firbo. you can have period of attacks that are severe then others not so bad..Lab work cna be negative for a long while then BAM labs are out of site..

I honeslty think that if we were not so pumped full of junk in our water, foods, shots and take this it will help you feel beter then just maybe we would feel better..I would love to be detoxed of years of junk..You know what though--the detox pain scares me because I hurt so bad already that I fear what if I am wrong and place myself in harms way..Irrational I know..
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Check for Mold for MS symptoms
Check for MOLD in your home or workplace; I had many of the symptoms - esp. the memory loss, muscle tenderness, extreme fatique etc.. you described and read a great book called Mold Warriors by a doc who I also went to see. For some reason, mold illness can present as MS symptoms, as mine did. 2 years later and I'm much better - using a combo of mostly alternative and traditional methods. Mold is horrible and even a little dose of it can cause problems esp for certain gene types. Good luck!
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
GGG
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....