Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

BPH and chronic prostatitis

User Profile
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your time. My grandfather lives in Cuba (77) and has problems with Prostate, mainly the big inflammation in the morning do not allow him to urinate and produce big pain. (he's diabetic).

I've just sent him Tamsulosin but I would like you to suggest me some GOOD medicament for INFLAMMATION or at least you mention a list of BEST medication for prostate inflammation that could be help.

I will always consult with my doctor anyway, but please list some of the best medicaments for this.

I appreciate so much you work.
Best regards,

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2008
Prostate Answer A4210
You grandfather may have 2 prostate problems at the same time: benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and chronic prostate inflammation (chronic prostatitis).

Men at his age (77) often have BPH. BPH is treated with alpha-blockers (Tamsulosin) and 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. If medicines do not help he may need surgical removal of the prostate.

Chronic prostatitis is treated with the same medicines as BPH plus antibiotics if there is an infection. Men with diabetes are susceptible to develop urinary infections and thus chronic infective prostatitis. This means that proper regulation of diabetes is also required.

He may want to consult a urologist about his prostate problem.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.