Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

Boyfriend wants baby at 17

User Profile
ok....my boyfriend is about to be a junior in high school and in about to graduate from high school in may and just yesterday he asked me if i could have HIS 1ST BABY THIS YEAR!!! I will be 18 in june and he wouldn''t turn 17 until january 12. I really want to but how am i suppose to have his baby and work towards my career while he is still in high school? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
this is completely idiotic. tell your boyfriend to WAIT. don't let him inject his juice until you are ready to raise a child. trust me. i know about these things.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
please dont be crazy....only when u r capable of looking after urself can u look after someone else...wait till ur stable and know exactly what u want
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2010
ok....thanks a lot
|

replied May 12th, 2010
wow well if you are able to Provide the following things on your own, Your own Health insurance for you and baby with out using a government plan, Your own roof over your own head and baby with out Government assisted living, Pay for your own food and baby food with out "food Stamps" and have no intention on going on welfare. Then Yes Have a child if that is what you want. But not just because he wants you to have one.

Also most "high school" loves don't end in happy ever after forever. More than likely you will find the love of your life later in life. Because your interest will change drastically in the next 4 years of your life.

Also he said he wanted you to have his first Kid. The way he said that, is like he plans on having more than one and not just with you.

But remember you are going to have to put up with this 17 old your dating for the rest of your life if you have kids, because even if you don't get married, he may or may not be around 5 years from now.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Experienced User
There is absolutely no reason what so ever to have a kid right now. You mentioned you don''t know how you would focus on your career with a baby. You answered your question right there. You are not ready by any stretch of the imagination. If you were to have a baby now you would never ever be able to focus on your career like you are now. You would be up at all hours of the night, miss out on tons of stuff the other kids your age get to do. You would be one of those women that will say "I would have finished school and been a ______(insert preferred occupation/ comfortable lifestyle here) but I got pregnant." DON''T DO IT!!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Gemini2010,

What do you want? Do you want to go to jail and be registered as a sex offender? If you have sex with this "minor" (he being l7) and you are 18 which is legally an adult, in numbers only, not mentally, that is exactly what will happen to you. Drop him like a contaminated diesease and focous on your career, obviously he isn't.

Good Luck,
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Experienced User
Your Decision
You will not get in trouble for having sex with a minor unless his parents press charges. And I have gone through that and I know that for a fact.

Do what you want to. Are you ready for the pregnancy symptoms and having a hard time going through work and school. You can trust ME on that because I AM going though that.

Just make sure you both can afford a child with the food, clothes, a home, insurance and furniture before you want to.

I personally know people who do not want to have kids because they don''t want the responsibility and they want to "enjoy the party life of college." Do what you will :]
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Experienced User
Also, if you are with him and have sex, you cannot get in trouble because you are within three years of his age, so don't even let that effect your decision.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Experienced User
And one more thing,

You can go on any welfare programs and not be just using the system. They are there to help you get on your feet when you need it the most.

WIC, Women, Infants and Children is an organization that helps you feed you, the baby and any children up to five years. It can help with you being pregnant also. They can give you milk, cheese, bread, eggs, cereal, and fruits and vegetables. I get WIC but I not just using the system because I can . It helps many people.

Are you going to be with your boyfriend for the rest of your life? If not, divorce issues and child support and custody can be a strain on the baby. I personally would wait. But staying with the person IS more important than being pregnant because:

1. The person wants nothing to do with the kid, it hurts the parent and the child.
2. A custody battle can lead to the child having problems and you having issues with the other parent.
3. The parent could just not be suitable for the child and do something bad to the kid.

You want to have a kid with someone you can be with for the rest of you life.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
Tell him you both have all your life to wait ; TRUST ME YOU DONT WANT ONE NOW!
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2010
No
Definitely will be to your disadvatage. He is not even ready to father a child now. He doesn''t know what the gravity of what he is talking about
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2010
faded rose i would be a sex offender if i was 4 years older than him but im 2 years older than him and i had already had that checked out from the start. His mother is a officer i think she would do something about it when she first found out we were dateing.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2010
everyone else thanks for your comment. sometimesithappen: i already had it in my mind i was not gone deal with the government the only time they gone get my money is when i have to pay taxes. everyone: he does care about my career his mother makes him live as the man of the house be cause she is a single parent and works all kind of hours. Also he told days after i posted this that it was an option and for who ever said "he will date other people if i did have his child" its not true. we agreed not to have sex until we are married and children will not come until we BOTH GET OUR CAREER ON THE WAY!!!
|
Quick Reply